Updated: Jul 22
Whole grains are good for you, your gut, your heart, your blood sugar, your immune system and so much more. But unfortunately most of us don’t get enough in our diets.
I created this recipe so that you can use ANY wholegrain you have on hand. It’s also the perfect #mealprepsunday pick, as it keeps well, makes great lunches and is the perfect ‘pull out of the fridge and quickly add some sides for dinner’
The honey soy dressing is sweet, yet tart and super delish. Feel free to be liberal when you dress this plate… we sure were 😝
Plate up with whatever fresh veggies you’ve got on hand. We chose to go with some raw carrot 🥕 , pickled beetroot and steamed greens 🥬
Short on time or just being a little lazy? Work with raw vegetables and drop your cook time down fast.
Total time - 50 minutes
Servings - 6
1/2 cup buckwheat
1/2 cup freekah
1/2 cup wild black rice
1/2 cup brown rice
1/2 cup quinoa
1/2 cup currants
1/2 cup pumpkin seeds
1/2 medium red onion
1/2 bunch mint
1/2 bunch coriander
1/4 cup honey
1/3 cup soy sauce
2 tsp sesame oil
2 tbsp rice vinegar
1/3 cup EVOO
+ sides we used
6 fillets of salmon
2 small carrots grated
400g beans, steamed
1/2 cup fermented cabbage
1/4 cup Greek yoghurt
1. Rinse whole grains under water and soak in a medium bowl of water for approx 10 minutes.
2. Drain and add to a medium saucepan with 5 cups of water and cook on medium heat for 30 minutes before turning off heat and letting rest for 10 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, whisk together all ingredients for the dressing in a bowl.
4. Remove grains from saucepan and drain any excess liquid before placing in a large bowl
5. Add currants and pumpkin seeds and mix to combine.
6. Add dressing and mix through before adding red onion, mint and coriander.
7. Plate up with sides and enjoy!